Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Patriarchal Pet Peeves



Indignation at society's lack of fairness is something I try to manage wisely. It's rather useless energy and I try to spend time working on the positive tip rather than then neg. But once in a while I get a bee in my bonnet and I feel like now is a good time to get some of my pet peeves off my chest.

1- I can't stand hearing men complain about how inappropriate they think it is for women to put make up on on the train. SHUT UP DUDE. In life, and especially in NYC, every 5 minutes counts and many times that 5 minutes is the difference between being late or on time for work. And sadly, most women feel more confident having a little color on their faces. There might be a lot wrong with that but I would blame the patriarchy there too so we're not gonna get too far in a "make up free face" effort. Might I suggest you join me in my campaign for hand washing stations at all MTA exits? That is a much better use of our energies!

2- Airplane carry on guidelines are inherently sexist. They are generally one small suitcase and one personal item such as a purse, laptop bag or briefcase. Well my friends, women have to carry a purse AND a laptop bag or briefcase. I have personally been stopped multiple times for this offense and it enrages me every time. if all items are not to exceed a weight in excess of 40 pounds, then that should be the stated policy.

3- Working in a mildly corporate environment in New York City I still am absolutely aware of the different standards for appearance between men and women. As I have rather annoying high maintenance hair (yeah it takes a lot of work to look this average) I get totally P.O.'d when I see the dudes in my office stroll in with messy as hell hair, that shit just would not fly for us ladies. I can hear the comments now "what the HELL happened to you?" And not to mention the rumpled Rumpelstiltskin look many of them rock that would only send the message I'm not into if I tried to do the same.

So what can I do about any of these things besides rant on my minimally read blog? Nuthin'. I'll live.

1 comment:

  1. I love your Pet Peeves, especially the one about the make-up on the train.

    Keep up the good work on blogging.

    Eric Sornoso
    http://www.mypetpeeves.com

    ReplyDelete