Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cut Your Cold In Half (or sniff trying.)


So this cold season I've been pretty lucky. I had a cold in the fall but I was able to stay pretty healthy until last week when I ran myself ragged with school and work and work and school. I really had no time to be down or recover properly so I tried everything I could to get my sypmtoms under control. A year or two ago under the same circumstances I would have gone straight to the pharmacy and bought some antihistamines, decongestants and toxic throat spray but I'm not interested in that anymore. Based on some recommendations I tried a the following combination of treatments:

Flushing my ears with Peroxide (there are many theories that colds start in the ears and since the ears are connected to the nose and throat it makes sense that at minimum it should be treated!)

Saline Nasal Wash to remove impurities and keep the nose hydrated. I didn't get the neti pot but I will and use it to ward off future frustration.

Finally Oregano Oil. I had this recommended to me by two different people and I think it was the key to cutting my cold in half. You can feel it working as you swallow it. You put some drops under your tongue every few hours and let it work it's magic.

Feel free to share your tips with me!

2 comments:

  1. oregano oil?? please elaborate....Im a feeling the cold coming on out here.

    Soren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Soren,
    This link has a ton of info on the anti viral and other uses of the Oregano Oil
    http://curingherbs.com/wild_oregano_oil.htm

    So basically similar to what you'd think for echinacia and goldenseal but more potent.

    I dunno, it seemed to work for me!

    ReplyDelete