Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Esther Hautzig, R.I.P.


When I was about 12 or 13 I picked up The Endless Steppe and was simply captivated by the story. There are few books in my life that have had such a massive impact on me emotionally, in fact, this and The Diary of Anne Frank may be the two which have had the most. I read today that Esther Hautzig the writer of The Endless Steppe passed away at age 79 here in New York. I bought and re-read it in 2007 and cried and cried just like I did the first time. On the jacket it said she lived in New York and I had a thought to reach out to her and tell her how much her words meant but of course life took over and I didn't. I hope to go to Vilna someday (my great great grandfather was from there too) and think of her and how important her life was.

Obituary from the New York Times.
blog comments powered by Disqus