Friday, December 19, 2008

Simple Social Graces for 2008

Sunset Las Rocas

Las Charades 
From Madrid. Awesome girl pop in the vein of Tiger Trap sung in Spanish. I saw them play in Barcelona in January and their show was oddly reminiscent of Tiger Trap too. Their album is out on Bcore and is totally great.  

Ok, my love of Delorean is well documented on my website, but this year they have gotten so smart. They started throwing parties with their friends (mainly DJ K*O) all over Spain called DESPARRAME where sometimes they play and sometimes they don't and have even gone to Moscow to have them there! The parties are a mix of DJ sets and live sets and are totally incredible dance experiences. Hopefully they'll come to the U.S. with them in 2009. Check out their blog for mixes you can download and their funny Spanish posts about new tracks they love. They've also been doing lots of remixes of Teenagers, Big Pink, Lemonade and more. They are all awesome, but I'm just desperate for new Delorean songs.  

Cooking School 
In September I began the Chef's Training Program at the Natural Gourmet Institute. It's a part time program teaching cooking techniques and theory of health supportive cooking. I go Wednesday nights and all day Saturday. It's intense but also intensely wonderful. I've learned a ton of practical information on how to be a fundamentally better cook through proper preparation, but I've also learned so much about ingredients (sugar, fat, soy, corn) and nutrition, it's really mind blowing. I'm working on an essay for my friends with some of what I've learned distilled into an intelligible document so look for that soon!  

Traveling in Central America 
In the last 4 years I've had the luck to have been able to travel to almost all the countries in Central America. So far I've been to Costa Rica (2X), Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico and Nicaragua. Every time I go somewhere in Central America I feel like I learn more about myself than I had planned. I feel guilty about my carbon footprint but I also feel like it reminds me that there is so much to know about other places and so much more to appreciate than what we're taught in school or could learn on our own in books. In 2009 I'm hoping I'll be able to actively work towards a different kind of connection, less tourist, more vehicle for assistance. More on that as it happens I'm sure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment